Bored with summer salads already? Get your hearty meal on with these divine (and good for you!) Sloppy Jane’s;
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 yellow onion (NOT sweet) chopped
- 4 shallots chopped
- 8 mushrooms chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 diced tomatoes (large – or 2 cans if you’re lazy)
- 2-3 Tbs coconut oil
These measurements are guidelines only-seasoning should be to taste:
- 1 1/2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 1/2 tbs sea salt
- 1/2 tbs onion salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 chili powder
- 1-2 tbs Mrs. Dash (extra spicy – if you like it spicy vs. sweet and if you are watching your sodium)
- 1-2 tbs Braggs Liquid Amino
- OR Sloppy Joe packet from the grocery or healthfood store if you are tired as a base (instead of the above-referenced spices)
- ¾ cup of Ketchup
- ¼ Cup of brown sugar (if you like your Slopy Joe’s to taste closer to BBQ.) You can also use agave nectar with molasses or make sure to use vegan sugars.
- 12-24 Oz of Smart Ground Mexican Flavor.
- 1/2 cup or so of grated pepper jack vegan cheese (sprinkle some on top) this thickens it up as well – (watch out for casein!)
- Toast 1/2 of a Ezekiel Bun 4:9 and place mixture on top
Melt the coconut oil in the bottom of the pan and heat all the onions, garlic and shallots until they are clear. Begin seasoning. Add peppers until slightly soft, then mushrooms. Add the rest of the veggies and tomatoes. Once veggies and tomatoes are all mixed in, add all remaining ingredients except “cheese” and mix. Essentially mix all spices to taste. If you like it sweet, add more “brown sugar” or “ketchup.” If you like it spicy, add more chili powder or Mrs. Dash (if you are watching your sodium intake.) Right before you finish, add the “cheese,” this will thicken the mixture and add a depth to it. Remove from heat. Sprinkle a little more “cheese” on top if you like. Scoop/spread on toasted bun and serve.
Recipe shared by reader DJ Girl 6 who proclaimed; “I’m Italian, so I usually do not write recipe’s down but I thought I’d give it a go!” Good job 6!