Allison Rivers Samson doesn’t only make (and sell) the best ever vegan fudge. In her VegNews Magazine column, ‘Veganize It!‘ this Month, she shares her recipe for Grilled Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches. Hearty, savory, and classic, this Reuben is straight out of your favorite New York deli.
Admit it: we had you at “grilled,” didn’t we? Caramelized onions and tangy sauerkraut star in this full-flavored, deliciously compassionate take on the traditional Reuben sandwich. Add Thousand Island, avocados, and caraway seeds, and your taste buds will be over the moon with delight.
Grilled Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced into 8 large, 1/8-inch thick sheets
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 slices light rye bread
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- Thousand Island Dressing (see recipe)
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2 avocados, mashed
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons sunflower oil and tempeh, browning tempeh on each side, Remove tempeh from the pan and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil and onion. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return tempeh to the pan and stir in garlic, bay leaves, paprika, caraway, dill, salt, vinegar, tamari, and black pepper. Add water and simmer for 30 minutes or until the water has evaporated and tempeh is infused with flavor and coated with a glaze. Remove bay leaves.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.Spread two slices of bread with margarine.Grill for 3 minutes, until browned on one side only. Repeat for the remaining slices of bread and set aside.
4. Between the ungrilled sides of two pieces of toast, layer Thousand Island Dressing, sauerkraut, 2 pieces of tempeh, onions, and avocado. Repeat with remaining ingredients.Serve with a crisp, fresh green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing and a Hefeweizen beer.
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dill pickles, chopped
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
Allison Rivers Samson is the owner of www.allisonsgourmet.com, an award-winning artisan bakery and confectionery boutique, dedicated to offering the best organic, vegan sweets on the planet.