We all know that healthy and compassionate eating is all about sacrifice. YEAH RIGHT! Vegan Treats founder Danielle Konya blew that dessert fallacy out of the water long ago with the creation of her first Chocolate Peanut Butter Bomb cake. As an ethical vegan with a “do it yourself” ethic that is only rivaled by her sweet tooth, Danielle set out to make a vegan cake that didn’t just taste good, but actually tasted better than any other cake, vegan or otherwise. She succeeded. For the last ten plus years, her desserts have won the hearts of pretty much everyone with functioning taste buds. In fact, the very lucky residents of NYC, Washington DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia anxiously await her deliveries at area restaurants and cafes each week. People have been known to plan their days around the arrival of her doughnuts. Taste one and you’ll see why.
Danielle’s main motivation lies not in accumulating awards, but in helping the other animals that inhabit our Earth. Clearly, there’s nothing appetizing about the needless suffering of ten billion animals a year for their flesh, milk and eggs. And there’s really nothing tasty about aiding in the destruction of our environment for a cupcake. After all, the more one learns about the milk and egg industry, the more sickeningly un-sweet desserts made with them become. Vegan Treats goes the cruelty-free route and satisfies both the palate and the conscience, inextricably linking the business of dessert with the ethics of caring about animals.
You want a Wedding cake that’s going to blow the balls off your guests? Simple, you order from Vegan Treats. Their Wedding cakes are the most gorgeous elaborate and delicious things we’ve ever tasted. Back off, Sylvia Weinstock… nobody wants your chicken period and boob milk filled pus cakes anymore. There is a new bakery (one with cooler, ethical bitches at the helm) ruling the world.
Here, Danielle shares her panty-dropping-good Molasses Pumpkin Streusel Bars Recipe.
In a mixer, combine shortening and sugar and mix until creamed. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, ginger, and salt. Lastly, combine molasses and water and pour alternately with flour mixture until batter is formed. Spread into a 1/4 sheet pan (9×13) lined on the bottom with parchment paper and pan spray. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. While baking prepare fillings and streusel. The filling has two parts. There’s a thin laced layer of cream cheese under the pumpkin filling. It adds for both a pleasing taste and nice touch when cutting.
Cream cheese layer (optional):
1/2 c Tofutti cream cheese, 2 T sugar.
Mix until smooth and spread over hot, pre-baked shortbread base.
3/4 c soymilk,1 c pumpkin, 1/2 c brown sugar, 3/4 t cinnamon, 2 T unbleached flour, pinch salt, 1 1/2 t Ener-G egg replacer, 2 T water.
In a mixer, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Add pumpkin and soymilk second. Mix. Lastly, combine egg replacer and water together and mix into filling last. Gently spread over already cream cheese topped shortbread base.
1 1/2 c unbleached flour, 3/4 c brown sugar, 6 T margarine.
In a large bowl, squeeze with hands until streusel forms. Sprinkle on top of pumpkin mixture.
Bake bar at 350 for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and center looks set. Invite friends.
How many other bakers actively support animal advocacy groups like Farm Sanctuary, The American Anti-Vivisection Society and the Humane Society of the United States? And how many other bakers carefully choose their ingredients with taste and the well being of the earth and animals in mind? Baking as Activism? Who would’ve thunk it? Yet, in a small but meaningful way, with each bite, Danielle’s Vegan Treats help create a more compassionate world. Luckily for us, compassion has never tasted so delicious.
PICK UP VEGAN TREATS AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS (special deliveries/ orders can be arranged):
- HIM Health Food Market 4374 E. White Plains Road Bronx, NY 10466 718-798-0018
- HIM ITAL Restaurant and Juice Bar 754 Burke Ave Bronx, NY 10467 718-653-9627
- Blackbird Parlour 197 Bedford Ave (Btwn. 6th and 7th) Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-599-2707
- Brooklyn Label 180 Franklin Street (at Java St.) Brooklyn, NY 11222 718-389-2806
- Bush Baby 1197 Fulton Street (Between Bedford and Franklin Avenues) Brooklyn, NY 11216 718-636-5336
- Cocoa Bar 228 7th Ave (Between 3rd and 4th) Brooklyn, NY 11215 718-499-4080
- Dao Palate 329 Flatbush Ave Brooklyn, NY 11217 718-638-1995
- Foodswings 295 Grand Street Brooklyn NY 718-388-1919
- Fritz Jamaican 598 Clarkson Street Brooklyn, NY 718-221-5156
- Ground Floor 855 Grand Street Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-313-0909
- Homage Brooklyn 151 Smith Street Brooklyn, NY 11201 718-596-1511
- Italfari Cafe and Juice Bar 313 Utica Ave Brooklyn, NY 11213 718-774-7720
- Lodge Restaurant 318 Grand Street Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-486-9400
- Penny Licks 158 Bedford Ave Brooklyn, NY 10180 718-384-0158
- Picnic 185 DeKalb Ave Brooklyn, NY 11205 718-855-8965
- Red Bamboo Brooklyn 271 Adelphi Street (corner of Dekalb) 718-643-4352
- TCHFA 626 Flatbush Ave Brooklyn, NY 646-670-0796
- Tillie’s of Brooklyn 248 Dekalb Ave Brooklyn, NY 11205 718-783-6140
- Urban Rustic 236 North 12th Street Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-388-9444
- V-Spot 156 5th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11217 718-622-2275
- Vegetarian Ginger 128 Montague Street (2nd floor) Brooklyn, NY 718-246-1288
- Vinnie’s Pizzeria 148 Bedford Ave (at N.9th St.) Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-782-7078
- Wild Ginger Pan-Asia Vegetarian 212 Bedford AveBrooklyn, NY 11211 718-218-8828
- Wild Ginger Pan-Asia Vegetarian 112 Smith Street Brooklyn, NY 11201 718-858-3880
- Willburg Cafe 623 Grand Street (at Leonard St.) Brooklyn, NY 11211 718-963-0219
- Atlas Cafe 2nd Ave between 4th and 5th NY, NY 212-539-0966
- Beach Street Eatery 57 Beach Street NY, NY 10013 718-440-4636
- Boyd Thai 210 Thompson Street New York, New York 212-533-7290
- Cafe Veg 2291 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. (at 135th Street) NY, NY 10027 Harlem 212-491-3223
- Cafe Viva Broadway between 97th and 98th NY, NY 212-663-8482
- Cake Shop 152 Ludlow Street NY, NY 10002 212-253-0036
- Curly’s Diner14th Street between 1st and 2nd NY, NY 212-598-9998
- East West Cafe and Book Store 78 5th Ave (at 14th Street) NY, NY 10011 212-243-5994
- Edgar’s Cafe 255 84th Street NY, NY 212-496-6126
- Esperanto Cafe 114 Mac Dougall Street NY, NY 10012 212-475-5400
- Gary Null’s Uptown Whole Foods (Vegan Treats gluten-free products can be found here) 2421 Broadway (Corner of 89th) NY, NY 212-874-4000
- Gizzi’s Coffee Shop 16 W 8th Street NY, NY 10011 212-260-9700
- Heights Vegetarian 3960 Broadway (Btwn. 165th and 166th) NY, NY 10032212-927-0908
- Little Atlas 6 West 4th Street Manhattan, NY 212-253-5535
- Lula’s Sweet Apothecarie 516 East 6th Street (Btwn. A & B) NY, NY 10009 646-912-4549
- Organic Grill 123 1st Ave (Btwn. 7th & 8th) NY,NY 10003 212-477-7177
- Red Bamboo 140 West 4th Street off 6th Ave NY, NY 212-260-1212~ 212-260-7049
- Soy and Sake Village Vegetarian Cafe 47-49 7th Ave South NY, NY 212-255-2828
- T Salon and T Emporium 459 W 15th Street (Btwn 9th & 10th) NY. NY 10011 212-243-0432
- Teany 90 Rivington Street NY, NY 212-475-9190
- Uptown Juice Bar 54 W. 125th Street (Btwn Lenox and 5th Ave) NY, NY 10027 Harlem 212-987-2660
- Viva Herbal Pizzeria 179 2nd Avenue NY, NY 917-519-5646
- Wild Ginger 380 Broome Street (Between Mott and Mulberry) NY, NY 10013 212-966-1883
- Cafe Bar 32-90 36th Street Queens, NY 11106 917-698-2060
- Veggie Castle 13209 Liberty Ave Jamaica, NY 11419 718-641-8343
- Antonio’s Cafe 18509 N Frederick Ave Gaithersburg, MD 20879 301-926-7220
- Flaxella 8218 Wisconsin Ave #101 Bethesda, Md 20814 301-654-3529
- Savory Cafe 7071 Carroll Ave Takoma Park, MD 20912 301-270-2233
- Busboys and Poets 4251 South Campbell Ave Arlington, VA 22206 703-379-9756
- Toscana Grille 2300 Clarendon Blvd Arlington, VA 22201 703-465-2100
- Bread and Brew 1247 20th Street NW Washington, DC 20036 202-466-2676
- Brian MacKenzie’s Infoshop 1426 9th Street NW Washington, DC 20001 202-986-0681
- Busboys and Poets 1025 5th Street NW (5th & K) Washington, DC 20009 202-789-2227
- Busboys and Poets 2021 14th Street NW Washington, DC 20009 202-387-7638
- Java Green 1020 19th Street NW Washington, DC 20036
- Bella Vista Natural Foods 1010 S 9th Street Philadelphia, PA 19147 215-923-3367
- Benna’s Cafe Corner of 8th and Wharton South Philadelphia, PA
- The Cantina 1651 East Passyunk Ave Philadelphia, PA 19148 215-755-3550
- Cantina Dos Segundos 931 N 2nd Street Philadelphia, PA 19147 215-629-0500
- Dock Street Brewery 701 S 50th Street Philadelphia, PA 19101 215-726-2337
- Gleaners Cafe Gallery 917 S 9th Street Philadelphia, PA 19147 215-923-3205
- Govinda’s Cafe 1408 South Street (at Broad Street) Philadelphia, PA 215-985-9303
- Infusion Coffee and Tea Gallery 7133 Germantown Ave Philadelphia, PA 19144 215-248-1718
- Infusion Coffee and Tea Gallery 1001 S. 10th Street Philadelphia, PA 19144 215-413-0504
- Last Drop Coffeehouse 1300 Pine Street Philadelphia, PA 19107 215-893-9262
- Mariposa Co-Op 4726 Baltimore Ave Philadelphia, PA 19143 215-729-2121
- Milkboy Coffee 2 East Lancaster Ave Ardmore, PA 19003 610-645-5269
- Mugshots Coffeehouse and Juicebar 2100 Fairmount Ave Philadelphia, PA 19130 267-514-7145
- Mugshots Coffeehouse Manayunk 110 Cotton Street (Between Main and Cresson) Philadelphia, PA 19127 215-482-3964
- New Harmony Chinese Vegetarian 135 North 9th Street Philadelphia, PA 19107 215-627-4520
- One Shot Coffee 1040 North 2nd Street Philadelphia, PA 19123 215-627-1620
- Red Hook Coffee Shop 765 South 4th Street Philadelphia, PA 19176 215-923-0178
- Rocket Cat Cafe 2001 Frankford Ave Philadelphia, PA 19125 215-739-4526
- The Royal Tavern 937 East Passyunk Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19147 215-389-6694
- Satellite Cafe 701 South 50th Street (and Baltimore) Philadelphia, PA 19101 215-222-2220
- Everybody’s Cafe 905 Main Street Stroudsburg, PA 570-424-0896
- Vegan Treats Pastry Shop (Come visit our new retail store!) 1444 Linden Street Bethlehem, PA 18018 610-861-7660
- Wired Gallery & Cafe 520 Main Street Bethlehem, PA 18018 610-317-8010 wired-gallery.com