Chances are, if you ask a Jewish friend if they are doing okay since October 7th, they will tell you they are not. Antisemitic hate crimes have gone up 37 percent in the US, reaching the highest number in almost three decades, and second-highest number on record. So where are our non Jewish friends? Mostly crickets, with a few shining stars. If you find yourself here – as a Jewish ally or as a Jewish person – you are here for a reason. This is a call to help, and to get involved. We are .02% of the population, and we can’t do this alone. Want to know what happened the last time antisemitism was this rampant? Ask my dead relatives who were burned in the ovens. It’s time to be brave and stand beside us. We are watching, we will not forget.
Here are 5 super simple ways to support us during these horrifying times. If you can’t do one of the items on the list, that’s fine – do another one. That’s why we are offering 5!
- Sign petitions/ click n’ send letters to support our people. Do it while you commute, take a bath, or take a phone meeting. Find the minute. Opt in here to devote 5 minutes a day to helping your Jewish friends. There are endless, wonderful WhatsApp groups to join for daily actions. Some we love include End Jew Hate, The Digital Dome, Daily Click N’ Send Letters, and many more (email us for those links – members are screened.) Join the extremely active Facebook pages Never Forget: Jewish Lives Matter, Mothers Against College Antisemitism, and GirlieGirl Army. We all post content that should be amplified, liked, and shared to refute all the horrendous misinformation circulating. Make sure to join our weekly newsletter to get these actions in one bite sized weekly email.
- Buy Jewish-made and donate towards organizations that support our communities. Be sure to support small Jewish and Israeli brands! Many Israeli women are currently holding down the fort while the husbands are at war fighting terrorists. The least we can do is purchase a cute hoodie off their Etsy page! We post a daily “buying this today from Israel!” list on our IG stories if you want to follow us there. Otherwise – join this facebook page which features Israeli small businesses daily. Some amazing pro-Jewish brands we love and support can be found here. If you’d rather just donate directly to meaningful causes, consider donating to nonprofits that work to fight antisemitism like ADL, UJA, Combat Antisemitism, and End Jew Hate.
- Follow Jewish voices, influencers, and politicians on social media and their mailing lists. Just go check out who we are following to see the must follow voices. Purchase a subscription to The Free Press, Lee Kern, and Eve Barlow‘s crucial substacks. Show up at our protests, marches, and temple events to show your support. We are a peaceful people – you won’t be clambered over the head with violence like at many of the marches on the other side. Report social media posts that are hateful, inciting violence, and posting untruths.
- Call a Jewish friend and ask them how you can support them. Lend an ear, go have a coffee at a Jewish-owned spot, go on a dog walk, or invite their kid over for a playdate. Things are heavy in Jewish households across the world right now. Be the light.
- Vote & Pray for us. Pray to whatever G-d you believe in for the protection of the tribe of Israel both in our homeland and in the diaspora. Make sure you are voting for candidates that support our existence. Fight and report disinformation.
Supporting the Jewish people was never popular, and it certainly isn’t now. Be brave enough to stand with what’s right.
“A candle is a small thing. But one candle can light another. And see how its own light increases. As a candle gives its flame to the other, you are such a light.” – Moshe Davis