Shakes for Breakfast!
Published on June 20, 2012 by GirlieGirlArmy · 2 Comments
Now that the weather is warm, a shake for breakfast is a great way to get all the nutrition you need in a convenient and yummy vehicle. Superfood powders dress up any shake with antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, healthy omega 3, fiber and protein.
Pictured: Blue Sunset Shake, p78, Raw Food Real World by Sarma Melngailis
Acai, chia, pomegranate, goji and hemp protein come all finely ground and ready to scoop into your morning concoction. While supplements aren’t a necessity for a morning shake, they do pack a punch of nutrients that we may not get through the foods we eat normally. These powders make getting your superfoods extra easy. Blend any or all of the antioxidant rich goji, pomegranate, and acai powders into any fruit shake. Add hemp and/or chia for added protein. We like the hemp best in thicker banana and nutmilk based shakes best while chia works well in lighter coconut water and fruit shakes. Or, if you’re feeling crazy, try a shake with all five at once.
What are the benefits? Read below for the specific perks of each of these awesome superfoods;
- Chia seeds are remarkably high in Omega 3 fatty acids – the ones we love and should get more of – as well as calcium.
- If you tend to get backed up add chia to your diet to keep things moving along.
- Perfect food for athletes and dieters.
- Raw chia seeds are an excellent thickener for many recipes.
Hemp Protein Powder
- Hemp seeds are among the most nutritious foods you can eat, full of omega 3 fatty acids plus calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin A, and potassium. They also contain all ten essential amino acids (i.e. protein building blocks!).
- Hemp protein has a mild nutty taste and is best used in shakes or added by the tablespoon to flour mixtures as a protein boost.
- Goji berries have been respected as one of the most nutrient-rich superfoods for thousands of years.
- With a sweet flavor somewhere in between a dried cherry and a cranberry, goji berries are astonishingly high in antioxidants.
- A reddish, purple fruit native to Central and South America, the acai berry is becoming famous for its powerful antioxidants and rumored weight loss support.
- Acai is naturally unsweetened, and pairs well with most sweeteners (which help bring out stronger flavor notes of berries and chocolate).
- Another antioxidant powerhouse, tangy pomegranate powder has a slightly sweet, fruit punch-like flavor.
- Turn this powder into instant yummy pomegranate punch by blending a heaping spoonful or water then adding a sweetener like stevia powder or agave nectar to taste. Pour over ice. Delicious! (You could even add sake and make it a cocktail. Just saying).
DELICIOUS SUMMER SMOOTHIE RECIPES THAT CONTAIN A NUTRITIONAL ONE-TWO PUNCH:
post via One Lucky Duck
Tags: acai, Chia, chocolate smoothie recipe, dates, Goji, green smoothie recipes, hemp protein, Hemp Protein Powder, Maca, One Lucky Duck, pomegranate, Pure Food and Wine, Sarma, sarma melngailis, Smoothies, Superfoods, vegan smoothie recipes