Friday, February 23rd, 2018

Whoopi Goldberg Is An Ignorant Gasbag

Published on March 21, 2011 by   ·   46 Comments Pin It

We usually love us some Whoopi, she’s hilarious and talented, but her self-righteousness when she spews on topics she is totally heartless and uneducated about (fur and animal products ring a bell) – it really piss us off. When you are speaking to millions of people and are as influential as Whoopi is, one would think she would do her due diligence and research a topic before spewing.  The gorgeous Carole Raphaelle Davis (via her dog Jinky) says more;

I see dumb people. There are an awful lot of dumb people gas-bagging on T.V, but Whoopi Goldberg gets the prize for being the most selfish, ignorant gasbag of the week.

Image via tvsquad

I watched Whoopi Goldberg on The View gassing on and on about how “you don’t know what you’re getting when you get a “pookie-dingle-doodle” from the pound. She was saying that when you get a pound dog, you might be in for problems, like you might get stuck with a dog who has respiratory problems because of a genetic malformation. Or worse, you might get stuck with a mutt.

Whoopi, with all due respect, YOU are a mutt. And you, yourself, don’t come from some fancy breeder and you look like you might have less than perfect genes, like most of us. I would think that someone like you, who has a lot in common with us pound dogs, someone who has been through hard times and overcome those hard times, would be a little more understanding of what it means to come from the wrong side of the tracks.

Yeah, you DO have the right to buy a dog. But does that make it right? You know, people had the right to buy slaves in this country too but it wasn’t right. I know you don’t want to be told what to do.

You’re like one of those guys who’ll only date supermodels because they have all the right markings. They’re expensive, they’re beautiful and replaceable and when they get tired of one, they get a new one. In that market, you, Whoopi, wouldn’t stand a chance. You wouldn’t be seen for who you are. You wouldn’t be seen at all. You’d have to hope that some guy wanted a real companion—a friend who would stick by him and love him, would give you a chance instead of insisting on his right to date models.

I am a mutt who was on death row at the pound and I would have died there if everybody thought like you.

Fact: Purebred dogs actually have more genetic malformations than hybrid dogs and that is something that the AKC doesn’t want you to know because it rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars masquerading as a non-profit animal welfare organization, when really, it is a FOR-profit corporation that makes the bulk of its blood money from registering litters from commercial breeding operations.

Whoopi, the concept of “purebred” doesn’t have any more substance than the concept of “pure” German or “pure’” Ugandan. This idea of ‘pure” anything stinks of snobbery and racism. Do you think that if a “purebred” woman from BurkinaFaso has a child with a “purebred” man from Austria, that the child is somehow genetically defective? And what if that child, as a result of neglectful parenting or catastrophic circumstances, ends up in an orphanage, are you actually going to use your platform on network television to talk someone out of adopting that child?

If we stick to logic, the same goes for dogs. Racial “purity” is racial talk, it’s racism and it’s wrong, whether you’re talking about non-human animals or human animals. Besides, a lot of the dogs at the pound ARE purebred dogs who were bred in commercial breeding facilities, bought in pet stores and then dumped. Do you think a dog is worthless because he is homeless? Do you think homeless people are worthless too?

What you said is pure garbage, and garbage is something I know a lot about. I was considered garbage. I am a mutt who was thrown away like trash, left to die at the pound. And because there are millions of dogs like me and millions of people like you who don’t care, we’ll continue to be thrown out like garbage.

Whoopi, let’s be honest; you don’t really like dogs. If you have to buy a dog to get what you want, you want a brand or an accessory—not a best friend, a dog.

Originally published on HollywoodJinky.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. SG says:

AMEN! She also defended Mel Gibson as well as Roman Polanski because she said it wasn’t “rape rape.”

2. KD says:

“If you have to buy a dog to get what you want, you want a brand or an accessory—not a best friend, a dog.”

Indeed, thank you for saying it.

3. Thank you so much for including me in your Vegan Vortex of Girliegirls! I hope we get a lot of good feedback and more importantly, I hope people send this to others who are not in our movement.

People need to stop buying pets period. If you like Jinky’s tone, you’ll like his book too.

Again, thank you so much for posting this,
    Love, Jinky!

4. Anita Kumar says:

Well said Jinky!

5. Lori says:

Thanks for the candor Carole and Jinky :)) Well said!!!!!!!!!

6. JB says:

I always loved Whoopi.
    until she defended Michael Vick.

7. May says:

I suggest we start a writing campaign to the View to get Wayne Pacelle on the show to discuss the issue intelligently.

I saw that episode and was very upset. It wasn’t just Whoopi- the entire panel was very ignorant to the subject and was calling for us all to not be so “PC” and not inject our personal opinions about buying vs. adopting, and that it was someone’s choice. Sorry Whoopi, when lives are at stake and millions of dogs are murdered every year b/c humans buy dogs from breeders and petstores, ALL BETS ARE OFF. This is not the first time there have been inaccurate, speciesist comments made about breeder/petshop dogs vs. Shelter dogs. Its time the View heard from us.

8. samantha says:

She has been a gasbag and an idiot for years. Why she is allowed to spew her ignorance is beyond me (Oh yeah 1st amendment). Let her have her fancy inbred pets, give me a mutt – an all american mutt or an abandoned dog who needs love.

9. Dr. Belisa says:

I agree with May. The View needs to address this. How hard to we work to get the message about shelter dogs out only to have her make a statement like that to millions of people. Exasperating. :(

10. Laura says:

i cant believe Whoopi’s ignorance. Thank you for calling her out on this!

11. judy says:

Whoopi is an idiot. I used to call people like her pigs, until I realized that insulted an innocent animal, and after all, as a vegan, isn’t that what we want to do away with, insulting, disprespecting, exploiting, and murdering INNOCENT animals? She isn’t nearly as important as she thinks or you’ve given her credit for, but for the few mindless that do follow what she says, then the animls are ‘owed’ the right to have the facts presented. Not the crap that spewed out of assbags gasbag!

The analogy of the supermodels and Whoopi being left behind was hysterical and a perfect example!!

12. KF says:

I totally appreciate and respect what you’re saying here, you’re absoltuely right, but I think I would have liked it more without the racial undertones.

13. May, that is a good idea, to get Wayne or Bill Smith of Mainline rescue on their show to educate the ladies of The View, because honestly, they are less educated than the public, it seems!
    Somebody send Whoopi this CNN special we did with HSUS and Mainline on puppy mills:

I put it up on her page but she (or her staff) deleted it! It makes it clear where the dogs are from and not graphic.

14. Jennifer says:

Great article and until Whoopi makes a public apology I’m done with her and The View. It’d all about accountability which most celebrities feel they are too far above to deal with!

15. Susan I says:

Way to go Jinky! Well written, well said and great analogies. We adopted a breeder poodle once, and I can guarantee that she wasn’t a purebred, but i’m sure her puppies were sold as if they were purbred poodles, so you don’t even know what your getting if you buy from a petstore or an unethical breeder.

16. Bridget says:

From the mouth of dogs; well said, Jinky! Great idea of having an informed guest on The View and not just ignorant spewing. I didn’t really hear the racial undertones, well, not in a negative sense, after all after the Michael Vick horror, Whoopi had said that dogfighting was part of “the culture of the South” but so is slavery and lynching. (If they can all be defined as “culture”). I just don’t think bringing up race necessarily qualifies as “racial undertones”, but, then I’m about as white as they come (talking skin tone), so perhaps I don’t understand; hope I’m not being insensitive.

17. Chloe says:

It just breaks my heart when people with her platform choose to do nothing to help

18. Clarification in case someone was offended:
    The racial “undertones” were not that. I put it right up front that racial talk is offensive and that’s what Whoopi did, not Jinky ;) the writer of the rant. SHE is the one who got all racial and does so all the time on her show.
    Example: When she defended Mike Vick for engaging in a “cultural” “sport” which is plainly cruelty to animals. Calling dog fighting part of black culture is using the race card–like, ‘let us do our dog fighting, stay out of it, it’s our culture to fight dogs’ and you can’t say anything about it without being called a racist.

Breed snobbery comes from the same ignorant anti-intellectual place–that somehow, genetic make-up constitutes superiority or inferiority. If one sticks to logic, one can see how the argument against “miscegenation” is the same argument used to prop up show dogs and the proliferation of purebred dogs as somehow superior to the consumer.

Purebred and “designer” dogs are a product, a status symbol that generate $84 billion per year in America. All that marketing by the AKC has worked for over 100 years. People actually believe that a French Bulldog is a “good” dog, when in fact, it has terrible genetic malformations that cause the dog to suffer.

The breed snobs are the racists of the canine world. And breed snobbery is racism and that is my point. This point has been stuck in my head for a while now and I think it is worth writing about, though it will be immensely unpopular with the purebreeders out there.

I hope that clarifies things in case someone was offended.
    Carole Davis

19. DB says:

Thanks KF for making a very important point.

We clearly all agree that Whoopi’s comments were speciesist and that everyone should adopt, however, I was EXTREMELY disturbed by the racial undertones (if they can even be called undertones).

Comments about Whoopi being a mutt, having less than perfect genes, and the implications that she’s unattractive (physically, as we can all agree that her character was unattractive at least in regard to her views on shelter animals), are really insulting.

We in the animal protection community are already assumed to only care about animals and to be privileged white folks who don’t understand or care about sexism/racism and other oppressions. We don’t need to feed that fire by making comments like this.

If for no other reason than to be effective at speaking out for the animals (though I think we should also do it because we SHOULD care about all those other issues) let’s stick to talking about animal protection from a viewpoint of compassion and not denegrade others based on their experiences of oppression.

20. DB says:

Carole, thank you for responding to those comments and I’m sorry I didn’t see your response until after my comment. However, I still think it’s up to us to be very careful not to throw out words and phrases that can so easily be read as offensive to others, since it makes us so easy to call out.

Even if Whoopi makes inappropriate speciesist comments (and comments unfairly generalizing the black community), it’s still not appropriate to call someone out based on their race and what that should say about their experience.

21. DanielleinDC says:

Might I also point out that if you adopt a dog at a shelter, they will be up-front about any issues the dog has, while a pet store, which she was in fact defending, won’t tell you anything about the animal.

When I adopted my cat from the local humane society, they had done a personality workup on her. They provide advice on caring for your new family member. I even got a free litter box (the one she was using in the shelter) and a bag of the food she had been eating so I could transition her to a new food. Find me a pet store that does THAT.

22. TheTruth says:

Whoppi is ugly as they come. make me puke to look at her. someone should have bred her properly

23. Odean and Cason says:

Whoopi gets more pathetic by the day –I seem to recall her defending Michael Vick and dog fighting as a “cultural thing.” Gee –seems to me the same thing used to said about slavery.
    I just hope she never gets an animal companion of any kind.

24. Thank you for alerting us to this dispicable behavior.

I just left a comment at The View’s contact page. Please do the same:

25. Joanne M says:

I left a message on the ABC site. It is the first time I have ever left a comment regarding any show. It was a very upsetting and ignorant comment from Whoopi and I am very disappointed that none of the others spoke up. Don’t ANY of them have adopted animals???

26. DB,
    I understand your point but this article is “written by” an ugly dog and it is supposed to be funny and poignant. I stand by what I wrote and I believe none of us have perfect genes. I also believe that she is highly offensive and that her thoughtless statements will cause more people to feel justified to buy pet factory animals. Her idea that you are entitled to do whatever the hell you want just because you want it is highly offensive and harmful to animals, actually leading to their torture and death.

Now THAT’s ugly.

27. Debbie says:

Well said…

28. Chloé Jo says:

I think saying this post is racist is absurd. We all note people’s physical make up – fat, short, tall, white, glasses – and yes, race. To say we don’t is idealistic. The truth is – we are all mutts – and that is a compliment – not an insult! Whoopi has probably been judged on being a black woman her entire life. And we know, via the media backlash, that she has always been judged for not fitting the classical beauty mold.. therefore, she should stand behind the offbeat underdogs of the world. That includes all mutts, all vegans…. anyone who doesn’t fit into the stereotypical safe realm of Christian middle America. Thank you, CRD, for truth-telling and sharing your Jinky with all of us!

29. A Vegan Animal Loving Black Girl Who Can READ says:

Twist it any way you want. This article has racist OVERTONES. You wont admit it because it’s easier for you to explain it away rather than admit your gross contradictions. shame on you Chole for publishing this!

30. Chloé Jo says:

A Vegan Animal Loving Black Girl Who Can READ:
    How about telling us all *exactly* what you find racist? Specific sections and why.. I think Carole would have written the exact same article had Whoopi been a white woman. How would you have critiqued her anti-mutt/ adoption sentiments? Would you have said nothing?

I still love Whoopi as an actor. Watched her on Oprah today for the 25th anni of Color Purple, and as I said before, there is no denying her brilliance. However, in this case, she was DEAD wrong.

Redemption is always at the wait for all of us.

31. Kara says:

Another black woman chiming in…I don’t see racism here.. just a bunch of really rich entitled folks spouting politically correct crap. Whoopi was wrong. Done.

32. lizzie says:

@ Kara —as another black woman I can say you don’t speak for me….

@ A Vegan Animal Loving Black Girl Who Can READ:
    You’re right she is twisting this mess….

@ Chloe Jo You are coming off as just another white woman who is willfully ignoring her audience when the audience is disagreeing with you then you put up excuses and justifications …you want to be an advocate, the way to do it by First Listening …you’re not black so certain things don’t affect you the way it affects ACTUAL black people.

yeah Whoopi was wrong with what she said but bringing her race and her looks is not the way to get more people to listen to your message instead it gives the opposite effect…..got it .. I am seriously disappointed in the fact that you would put this on your site….

@carole raphaelle davis:
    when people are telling you something listen don’t justify it just listen respectfully

33. Lizzie:

1. The majority of comments on this piece (LARGE majority) were supportive. Currently I’ve gotten 80 supportive emails, and 3 negative… and I’m still responding, so clearly I AM LISTENING… and respectfully noting your concern.

2. I’m a JEWISH woman, not white. We can discuss that another time, if you like. But I’ve never ID’ed as white, and never been mistaken for white… But I am well aware that I will never be in the world as a woman of color. I respect and have no problem with that. What does that have to do with me printing the article? If a black woman had printed it, how would you have responded?

3. I still love Whoopi, and hope she finds her way on this topic and admits her wrong, like I have personally many times! She does a ton of good for the LGBT community, and is brilliant at what she does beyond words. This isn’t a hate-Whoopi festival.

4. I wonder if the upset is re CRD’s mention of Whoopi’s looks? Do you find it distasteful to bring that into the article? Was that what upset you specifically? Nobody is telling me EXACTLY what lines and WHY they are concerned. I am here, listening, and always open and available for conversation and respectful discussion.

“If you can’t change your mind… are you sure you have one?”

5. CRD was making a radical point, yes… but it hit home her point. I’ve done that in my writing numerous times but never been accused of racism. How could CRD have written this article the same way and not gotten accused of racist overtones?

Thank you for your input, all of you.

xCx

34. lizzie says:

@ Chloe Jo

Lizzie:

~~~ your personal emails/ blog emails maybe but many others who may not take the time to communicate with you and just think that you are a white ( or Jewish ) woman who allows racist overtone articles on your blog … and make excuses for the “dog”

~~~~In America you are still white….Jewish people are still above Blacks in the treatment that people get…..would you have liked it if a black woman wrote an article being negative towards Jewish people….
    to me people of the actual race can say things of THAT race they know what can be said and not said in order to make a point….but as an outsider you should respect how the people of that race feel about things….. ( meaning if they don’t want you to say certain things then don’t)

~~~~I understand this.

“If you can’t change your mind… are you sure you have one?”

~~~~Here is my personal issue….right below ..

” Whoopi, with all due respect, YOU are a mutt. And you, yourself, don’t come from some fancy breeder and you look like you might have less than perfect genes, like most of us. I would think that someone like you, who has a lot in common with us pound dogs, someone who has been through hard times and overcome those hard times, would be a little more understanding of what it means to come from the wrong side of the tracks”

then the responses that came in agreement with the article…calling her ugly names is not what will help the situation…educating people will…. to me she could have communicated what her displeasure with out using things that are known ( at least to most people of color ) ….that are flame points to us as black women….you wouldn’t want us to call you ugly names or idiots…to me it called mutual respect…..

Thank you for your input, all of you.

xCx

I’ve had issues with some of your other articles before….I just took the time to write it out this time…
    She could have left out the part of her calling whoopi a mutt and things like that …
    I also agree with DB’s comments both of them….

35. lizzie says:

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time out to listen to what I have to say…

36. RE: “your personal emails/ blog emails” nope, they were READERS, reader mail. Nothing personal at all.

What are the other articles you’ve had problems with?

37. And thank you, Lizzie, for your respectful and mindful input. It has been noted and I am thinking about everything you (and the others concerned) have shared. Perhaps I was too quick to not see all sides at the start of this conversation.

I’m conflicted about the mutt comment. Because we are ALL mutts. Purebred humans don’t really exist anymore. Aren’t we all mixed? I think the more we “mix” races and religions, the more utopic our society will be. However, I can see how people of color would be more sensitive of that word, based on the history of slavery and the mixing that was usually not anyone’s choice.

38. I’d also like to invite you (Lizzie) and/ or anyone else reading this to write a response to this blog or regarding Whoopi, or racism within the vegan community that I would happily publish. We should all have a voice. I want this space to allow for ALL voices of compassion and kind conversation.

39. Ayinde says:

I gotta say as a black person whenever I hear this comparison of owning dogs to owning slaves something starts to happen and I have to really try to hear the rest of what is being said. There is a hierarchy on this planet and the fashion piece pocket book dog craze was created by humans just like everyone has to have a pug now omg they are sooooo cute… Right it’s a lot different than saying omg I have to buy that cute little Mexican woman to clean my house.

We can treat people and animals with all the respect we can muster if we want to, but we choose not to and so there is excess animals in shelters, over populated classrooms in ghettos and people left by the waste-side all over the world. Whoopie is a mutt like all African Americans that is something we can’t help thats how you make a slave by cutting off the roots taking them from their family, beating them savagely and distroying their family structre. While i have never owned an animal i can understand the why some see similarities of animal abuse to slavery because the making if a slave is taken from the method of breaking a wild stallion. But a person is different. Whoopie is also representative of what almost all American strive for excess, the best and worked hard to get it I’m sure. So she may be a lot of things but most of all she is a mirror. That’s my 2
    Two cents

40. Ariela says:

I have to say the reference to Whoopi as a mutt took aback for a moment. But, then I kept reading and it is entirely true that none of us is a “pure breed” and better off that way. If we had a human species had never begun to come together and create “mutts,” we’d be a lot more separated than we are today.

But, back to our furry friends. It’s true that when Whoopi makes comments that imply that rescuing a dog from a shelter holds too much of a risk, and that instead choosing to purchase a purebred will award you status and prestige she is speaking in a very public forum, making a “recommendation” that is completely false. These comments have nothing to do with Whoopi’s race, instead she is speaking from a level of class and celebrity from which she is attempting to pass along falsities as facts, and for that she should be ashamed.

41. Lizzie says:

@ Chloe Jo Davis
    Here is a site which talks about the experiences of Vegans Of Color different issues in cluding those of racism in the vegan community

Here is one of the articles that I really had an issue with

Simply put being a vegan is a choice being an African American woman living in America and dealing with the racism is not a choice…..Jillian ( commenter ) makes the point clear…..

I do again wish to thank you for listening and responding to your readers concerns…

42. Yoli says:

So I had to take some time before commenting to read through the post, the comments, and allow myself adequate time to process and decipher the implications.

Chloe, I know you are a very passionate and loving person. With that, calling someone a name such as gasbag only ends up falling on deaf ears, meaning if she were to read this post, instead of initially being open to seeing another way of thinking, it instantly creates a feeling of defensiveness.

As far as adopting animals from a shelter, it takes a person with time, compassion, and willingness to care for animals, especially those who have been abused or neglected. I appreciate Ayinde’s sentiment in the first paragraph re putting owning pets and slavery in the same context… while in, Manhattan I see women walking around with miniature dogs as bag accessories. These are pieces of a puzzle that just don’t fit.

As for the comments about Vick, I’m pretty much getting tired of them. If you have no context of his culture, be quiet. I have a degree in sociology with a focus on qualitative analysis. I’ve done my research. Many people have been desensitized to violence against people so what makes anyone think that this desensitization isn’t applicable to animals? If you have ever had a burger in your life, you are no more absolved of contributing to “animal cruelty” than anyone else.

Knowledge is power. Passing on information such as “Fact: Purebred dogs actually have more genetic malformations than hybrid dogs” has more clout for me than name calling or leaning towards personal insults.

43. Yoli says:

Ok miss me with my #retrogrademoments.. I now see who the original author is (thanks to Chloe).

In light of that, I don’t know Carole or who she is as a person. From first look/read of who she is, and then seeing the words that were used to describe Whoppie, is irritating. My prior comment still stands. The term mutt is defined as an inferior dog or one of mixed breed, so assessing her statements based on that definition alone, the article has racial undertones that are not flattering or appreciated. People truly need to be attentive to what and how they communicated a message if their supposed framework is compassion, because frankly there is none in the article for ignorance or mis-education.

44. lizzie says:

@ Chloe Jo Davis

Here is one of the articles that I really had an issue with

45. lizzie says:

@ Chloe Jo Davis

Here is one of the articles that I really had an issue with

46. […] no reason for the ignorance to continue, particularly among big-mouthed celebrities like Whoopi Goldberg who recently spouted her ignorance all over “The View,” saying, “you don’t know […]

* indicates required