Thursday, September 20th, 2018

A Call For Pit Bull Lovin’ Artists

Published on June 19, 2010 by   ·   24 Comments Pin It

Long time animal rights activist, vegan high heel wearing best friend to the furry kind Jenith Mateja is working on a project entitled ART FOR PITTIES, created to honor and raise awareness for the mislabeled “inherently dangerous” pit bull.   Between veganizing your footwear working for olsenHaus, to being a licensed massage therapist working on her drumming skills, Jenith is looking to meld her love of art and devotion to non-human animals through this project.   And being the sisterly type of ladies we are, we promised to help her get this fabulous non profit endeavor off the ground.

Pit Bull Lova; Jenith Mateja

ART FOR PITTIES …  Is seeking thirty artists with  A VISION and A LOVE FOR ANIMALS  to create  ONE-OF-A-KIND  tote bags for an  ONLINE CHARITY AUCTION to raise funds for EVEN CHANCE, a San Diego-based Pit Bull Rescue!

Nixon is just one of the many uber adoptable pit bulls who need homes through Even Chance Rescue.  To adopt him: evenchance.org

Nixon is just one of the many super adoptable pit bulls who need homes through Even Chance Rescue. To adopt him: evenchance.org

“My kids are around pit bulls every day. In the ’70s they blamed Dobermans, in the ’80s they blamed German shepherds, in the ’90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the pit bull.” – Cesar Millan

Once popular for everything from farm work to use in film and television, now dog fighting’s most notorious victims; shelters across the country are largely populated with Pit Bulls who have been abandoned or abused. Today, Pit Bulls face controversy due in part to abusive and irresponsible owners. Breed Specific Legislation passed in a number of states often puts Pit Bulls in danger of being put down immediately. In fact, Pit Bulls were long bred to be companions to humans and consistently score higher than the general dog population on the American Temperament Test Society (ATTS).

GirlieGirl Army Founder Chloe Jo Davis and her pit bull rescue, Twiggy.

GirlieGirl Army Founder Chloe Jo Davis and her pit bull rescue, Twiggy.

Even Chance advocates and educates for Pit Bulls, working with shelters to place Pit Bulls in permanent homes where they can give and receive all the love and warmth they deserve! They have an amazing Compassion Program, basically a hospice for sick, injured Pits that would otherwise be put down in a shelter. EC are in need of funds to cover costs associated with veterinary and medical costs such as spaying and neutering, heart worm preventative meds; supplies like crates and food, as well as community outreach, educational and event materials, adoption promotion, training classes and so much more.

So.. here’s YOUR CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE:

ART FOR PITTIES needs DESIGNERS, pit owners, PAINTERS, animal advocates, ILLUSTRATORS — ARTISTS to personalize TOTE BAGS with ONE-OF-A-KIND artwork to be AUCTIONED ONLINE for CHARITY. Once underway, the project will be HEAVILY promoted, so you’ll not only be helping the animals.. you’ll be helping your own fledgling (our prominent!) career in the arts! The website will prominently feature artist bios and links of EACH artist, online and social network cross promotion.

ART FOR PITTIES seeks to RAISE FUNDS for a noble cause, EDUCATE folks about these beautiful PIT breeds and ADVOCATE for Pit Bulls and for young artists of all stripes! And they will provide the tote bag and pay all shipping costs.   All tote bags must be received by July 23, 2010.

Contribute by creating a tote bag, donating, or just passing this blog on to others who may be interested!

Contact Jenith:   ArtForPitties@gmail.com for more info or to sign up!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Emily McCoy says:

I’m sooooo happy to see this! I will be donating as much as I can in honor and memory of my sweet angel pitbull Daisy! Thanks for letting me know!!!

2. MB (sixtoeight mathematics) says:

This is soo fantastic! i think that everyone should do as much as they can to help these furry little friends.i will certainly try and help out as best as i can.

3. elizabeth says:

It’s so important to support causes that expose the truth for all animals,going beyond sterotypes, it’s the same as we should be doing we humans and differences in religion, color, race, gender, why is the ego so obsessed with segregation??
    Pit Bulls, are loving creatures and we need to be on their side, please support let’s be on their side to dispel the sterotype!
    Please support this preject

4. d-bomb says:

What a great opportunity for artists to use their work to help these animals. Thank you so much for organizing this! Will definitely be contributing and spreading the word to others.

5. Scarlett says:

Pitbulls can be the sweetest. I have seen many that are happy and share a loving relationship with their owners. I am glad someone is working so hard to see the other side of these beauties. A donation is on its way.

6. brook says:

i’m on it like white on rice. LOVELOVELOVE it–and so do my big beefy bullies. xoxo

7. DiscreetoBurrito says:

These dogs is my DAWGS! Just personalize my tote bag by filling it with a litter of PITBULL PUPPIES!

Seriously, though ART+EDUCATION+ADVOCACY= EDUARDACY or ARTFUL ADVOCATION! BRAVO!
    Spread the word! I wanna see this on OPRAH!

8. Love Love Love!! Jenith! Pits! Awesome inspiring project! I’m definitely in, you go Jenith! :) xoxo

9. Thanks guys!!! We really appreciate all the help and enthusiasm!
    I’m recruiting artists as well
    Can’t wait to see how this goes!

Nicole Edwards
    President
    Even Chance Pit Bull Advocacy + Resources + Rescue

P.S. Nixon is getting adopted this week :)

10. Kirsty says:

I love this idea! I was sad to see that it’s just for tote bags though! I would loved to have made an oil painting or something instead!
    =D Fantastic idea though

11. Jane says:

What a fantastic project. I would love to help out! Off to email you right away… jx

12. wendyb says:

How can the art-challenged help??

13. Kristy-
    We’d be more than happy to have a painting we could auction off as a donation!
    shoot me an email if your interested.

14. Jenith Mateja says:

Thank you all so much for the great support of this project!!

Kristy, definitely send over an email, we understand not all preferred mediums are going to work on a tote bag. We would be happy to accept a painting for the pitties auction!

Wendyb- contact me as well, we can “chat” about other ways. No need to leave anyone out!!

Thanks again so much!!

Jenith Mateja
    artforpitties.com

15. andrew says:

I was referred to this by Nicole- I’d be happy to design some totes.

16. We got Tippy, our 55 lb pit bull mix from the pound about 5 years ago. What an idiot she is, but full of personality. We love her.

17. Erin says:

Thank you so much for putting this on. Pitbulls are the only dogs I will ever own, they are wonderful companions and cuddlers. My cat has lived with six different pits and they’ve all been buddies! Educate about the breed, and condemn the dogfighting deed.

18. Jamian says:

You’re doing good work, Jen. It’s hard work, too; public opinion is unrelenting on these dogs. Paradoxically, more and more people are getting it… like the Humane League near me, which is offering a seminar on Pit bulls this month. But you’re making it fun and that’s real cool. I’ve always wanted one of them.

19. Yes!! What a great opportunity to return some of the love my pitties have shown me. Signing up right now …

20. Sharon says:

I love pit bulls, one of the most loving and loyal dogs out there! Support the suffering bread. Adopt, do not by from breeders!

21. […] Even Chance, especially if you’re artistically inclined. One of my favorite websites, GirlieGirlArmy, is teaming up with the group to sponsor Art for […]

22. Taryn Zychal says:

As an animal lover, activist, vegan and designer, there is no doubt in my head, I HAVE TO DO THIS!!!
    You can definitely expect a one-of-a-kind tote bag creation from Recycling Zychal! :D
    Thanks so much for posting this!!

23. Thanks for all the support! We are so excited!!!