Wednesday, March 21st, 2018

Step Away From the Bottle!

Published on February 10, 2009 by   ·   35 Comments Pin It

Water bottles = evil.   Think you already knew how bad?   Check out these scary facts, and commit even further to your Sigg’s.

I recently watched the 2008 award-winning documentary FLOW (For the Love of Water) which frighteningly lays out the international water crisis.   It tells the tale of a quickly dwindling fresh water supply and the deadly battle between people who need water and corporations who are controlling it.

Here are some fun facts for you to consider:

• The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns. (
  • Water is a $400 billion dollar global industry; the third largest behind electricity and oil. CBS News, FLOW.
  • While the average American uses 150 gallons of water per day, those in developing countries cannot find even 5. (

It’s a pretty scary situation, but even the film gives the viewer some hope,   I don’t want to be all doom and gloom here.   There are some things you can do and one is thinking outside the bottle! As the title of this post suggests, it involves putting down your plastic bottled water and not buying anymore!   Besides the obvious environmental problems with all of that minimally-recyclable plastic, buying bottled water creates a demand for an essential resource that comes out of our tap.   What’s worse is often that bottled water you are purchasing came from the same source as your own tap water.   That’s right ladies.   It’s quite a brilliant ruse.   The same exact product you could get for free at home, you are paying for at the grocery store.   And it’s not just you who is paying, these companies often trample on local communities and devastate the surrounding environment to extract water at an alarming rate.   Let us not forget all the fuel used to port around all those billions of plastic bottles from factory to store.

GirlieGirl Army encourages you to Netflix FLOW, learn more about the global water crisis in general, and take the pledge to think outside the bottle.   If our fabulous fingers clutch a pink klean kanteen, then so can yours!   Plus, reusable water bottles are kinda like handbags now days, you have a choice of style and size and color.   Water also actually tastes better coming out of stainless steel for some reason.   Commit to this one small step for the earth, and your pocketbook and Mama Nature will thank you.

Klean Kanteen, $16.

Klean Kanteen, $16.

Tags: , , , ,

1. I love that water is being talked about. The most precious resource on this planet is being abused and the issue ignored.

Having traveled throughout “third world” countries, I know all to well what it is like to go to a faucet and turn it on only to have no water. Very scary feeling. My first thought when landing in another country is not how to get around, it is “do I have enough water to make my journey. I generally carry enough water for me and the street dogs and cats I come across, my backpack is heavy.

Thanks Danielle…you are a bright and shining star. An activist extraordinaire. The next war we will fight will not be over oil instead it will be over water.

Allison Lance

2. Basla says:

Thanks for drawing my attention to this issue!

3. alexandra says:

It *does* taste better – who knows why, but really, it’s a win-win situation. Thanks Danielle for this important piece!

4. Casey says:

Such an amazing article, thank you for all of the great information. I try not to buy bottle water because of the plastic issue, but I only had a vague idea about water as a resource.

This will definitely reinvigorate my efforts to be a more thoughtful consumer. Thanks Danielle!

5. Cherie says:

Thanks for the article Danielle! I’ve been seeing the metal water bottles everywhere; they just make a lot of sense (and save money).

6. Pitt says:

Thanks for the enlightening post, Danielle!

I always suspected bottled water was not much different than tap water. I think I heard something on NPR about how it takes 4 gallons of “regular” water to produce one gallon of bottled water, which it turns out is exactly the same in quality anyway! (Don’t quote me on those figures — going from memory.) I think it was an interview with one of the filmmakers.

Seems most of those bottled water companies are owned by evil corporations like Coca-Cola anyway, which is reason enough not to buy their stuff.

Cute pic, btw. Looking forward to your next post!

7. Britt says:

This is scary business. Seriously. Everyone should make themselves aware! Great post!

8. Allison F says:

You’re so right Danielle, the water industry is appalling. I hate seeing so many women toting plastic bottles everywhere.

I do need some advice though. I recently moved and I HATE the taste of the local water. To the point where I (at least in my head) think something’s wrong with it. I filter it in the Brita, chill it and try to drink it, but find that I’m drinking less water when at home because of my aversion to the taste. Does anyone have any solutions to this? I won’t buy bottled water, but I need to do something to get my daily water-dosage!

9. jake says:

$400 Billion!

That’s amazing. I had no idea. Updating my netflix queue now. Thanks Danielle.

10. jami says:

Right on, Danielle. Why the hell do we need to use 150 gal. per day? Or carry it around in toxic little bottles? We need more reminders to be conscious about it. Thanks for the post.

11. dt says:

I read a little bit about why people don’t like the taste of tap water and one reason may be the additives.

Depending on where you live the city may chlorinate the water as well as add flouride or other things. The merits of additives and the general safety of drinking water is probably another post in itself but remember the solution is not bottled water since its often coming straight from the tap water source as well.

In your case, due to the fact you recently moved you may simply not be used to the additives in your city water. Assuming as you said that something isn’t seriously amiss, you may just need some time. However, you could try a steam distiller. I’ve never used one but according to my minimal research its supposed to seperate additives from the water, which may make it better tasting. Let us know how it goes!

12. Emiko says:

thanks for writing about this d. a lot of people still don’t realize what they’re doing every time they buy that plastic bottle of water. hopefully you’ve reached some more of them, and they may change their ways. makes me rethink selling bottled water at work. hmmmm.

13. Melissa says:

Critical information to know!
    Thanks to Danielle and rockin’ gals of Girlie Girl Army to bring about truth to the issues that matter most!

Cool & Compassionate Website through and through!!

14. Addy Kiedski says:

Just spend a day thirsty and you’ll remember the importance of a cool glass of water. This should never be a luxury to any person on the planet. If you were born on Earth, you have the right to land air and water. But in consideration of the fact that land and air have been tied up in politics since the dawn of civilization, it sadly makes sense that water would be next on the agenda of controlling the populations.
    Thanks for bringing the film to our attention Danielle.

15. gracy says:

as a fellow lover of animals and the earth, i’m so happy you wrote this post. i lived in a small rural village in peru for two years and was amazed by how little water i needed to live my life. (of course, others could have argued that i often needed a shower…) i’m back in the states now and i am so grateful for all that we have here while always trying to consume less. it takes vigilance and creativity, but we don’t have a choice when it comes to our worlds future. times are changing–lets start being responsible about the size of our piece of pie.

16. Bethany says:

I can’t wait to check out FLOW. For those interested in more water issues, the book Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World’s Water by Maude Barlow & Tony Clarke is a really good resource.
    Danielle, where can a get a water bottle where the words “clean” and “canteen” are spelled correctly? Just kidding – it’s just the English major in me coming out. XO.

17. Jeff P. says:

You go, girlie girl! It’s time for me to upgrade to a steel bottle, but I’ve been using the lexan ones for years. The more people see refillable bottles being used, the more likely they will be to get some themselves.

18. anon says:

Why are people singling out ‘women’ toting around plastic water bottles???? I’ve seen just as many men with them.
    So, women are to blame for the water bottle phenomenon? Crazy.

Good post but you should have definitely mentioned that people who eat animals are a major cause of water shortage. You can not be a real environmentalist and eat animals.

Water shortages are not only a 3rd world problem, we face that problem in the US also. If people would stop eating meat we could have plenty of water for everyone in the world. We use billions of water yearly for ‘food’ animals. If you really care about water then go vegan.

19. vegan says:

Climate change: With rising temperatures, rising sea levels, melting icecaps and glaciers, shifting ocean currents and weather patterns, climate change is the most serious challenge facing the human race. The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport Livestock are also responsible for almost two-thirds (64 percent) of anthropogenic ammonia emissions, which contribute significantly to acid rain and acidification of ecosystems.

Water: The livestock sector is a key player in increasing water use, accounting for over 8 percent of global human water use, mostly for the irrigation of feedcrops. It is probably the largest sectoral source of water pollution, contributing to eutrophication, dead zones in coastal areas, degradation of coral reefs, human health problems, emergence of antibiotic resistance and many others. The major sources of pollution are from animal wastes, antibiotics and hormones, chemicals from tanneries, fertilizers and pesticides used for feedcrops, and sediments from eroded pastures.

Land degradation: Expansion of livestock production is a key factor in deforestation, especially in Latin America where the greatest amount of deforestation is occurring 70 percent of previous forested land in the Amazon is occupied by pastures, and feedcrops cover a large part of the remainder.

Biodiversity: Indeed, the livestock sector may well be the leading player in the reduction of biodiversity, since it is the major driver of deforestation, as well as one of the leading drivers of land degradation, pollution, climate change, overfishing, sedimentation of coastal areas and facilitation of invasions by alien species.

20. Chloe Jo says:

Yo Vegan, if you took a second to review, you’d realize we are an *entirely* vegan/ cruelty-free site (‘aint no green washing going on up in herrre). But, love your passion! Thanks!

21. Brandor says:

Its amazing how serious of an issue this is and how few people are aware. There have been great initiatives here in Wisconsin to try and keep bottling out of our backyard.

22. Allison says:

Thanks for the response! You could be right about needing to get used to it. I moved to a much more metropolitan area, so it could just be the additives. Maybe I just need to suck it up and make myself drink it more to get used to it. :) If not, I will look into the distiller.

And don’t worry, either way I will NOT be buying bottled water. For one thing, my Sigg is WAY cuter. ;)

(On a side note, I joined a new gym recently and went to my first class there last night and was appalled by the amount of people there that showed up with plastic water bottles! I never noticed that many at my last gym.)

23. Thanks for blogging about this, Danielle. It’s amazing that we spend so much money on bottled water. I wrote a feature on water for the current issue of VegNews magazine, and what I learned was similarly frightening:

24. vegan says:

Yo Chloe Jo
    Thanks for the heads up on this being a vegan/cruelty free site. That makes the post double good.

For those like myself that popped in and only noticed this particular blog on bottled water it was worth noting the damge to water caused by the ‘meat’ industry.

But, love your passion too! Thanks!

25. Myndy K says:

Just a little “law of attraction” input here…..sometimes (o.k., all the time) I find myself going down a doomsday tube in my mind when I tune into these intense truths about what’s really going on & I’m personally trying to remember in these moments that there’s a whole other kind of responsibility that I’m committed to what am I vibrating, what am I creating. I’m deeply committed to creating something else. What’s possible on this earth, what’s possible for humans & animals & nature. I really believe, in a “what the bleep” kind of way, that what we are focusing on is what we get more of. Even when what we’re focusing on what we don’t want. The key is to distinguish what we don’t want and use it as a gift to help us distinguish what we DO want & then focus on that. With that said, I see lots of beautiful stainless steel water bottles in the hands of every single human on this planet filled with sparkling clear clean free drinking water and when I look at the planet earth I see it covered with streams & rivers & huge underground veins of the most delicious crispy clean and clear water flowing into reservoirs and springs and wells of the beautiful people all over the planet. The water is abundant and happy and so are we.

by the way, sigg makes some awesome sippy cups for kids!!!

Love, Myndy K

26. Myndy K says:

I just want to add that there’s also the awesome power of the choices you make in the material world & THANK YOU Danielle for this powerful heads up. We only use stainless steel water bottles in our house, have gotten rid of all the plastic stuff we’d been feeding our little boy out of and have stopped buying any water in plastic bottles along with always making sure that we’ve got loads of eco shopping bags around the house for when we go out for groceries. Plastic bags & bottles are over, done, finito yo.

27. Myndy K says:

….can you tell I’m 8 mo’s pregnant by the way I can’t stop with this blog? hormones much? i just realized that it’s not sigg that makes the sippy cups although they do have some kids water bottles, it’s kleen kanteen….and they are awesome.

28. Alyssa says:

Nice blog and great reminder! After reading this I noticed that Milwaukee’s River West Coop has a bunch of canteens like that and now I want to get one!

29. Pat says:

Great comments! I know the Sigg Bottle is very popular but for those of you concerned with the inner lining I wanted to let you know of a new generation of Stanley Bottles called nineteen13 – they just came out with beautifully designed Stainless Steel water bottles as well as 100% Ecycle recycled plastic bottles. You can out the entire nineteen13 line at:

30. kathryn says:

I have always thought that our next big war would be over water rights. I am also always shocked that bottled water costs more than gasoline! Hmmm? Not to mention the garbage the bottles create.

Living in the desert.

31. Msa77 says:

do you know how to clean the inside of the stl stl bottles…I have one, but i was getting skeeved out because I couldn’t clean it…

32. Danielle has a great Blog on a very important topic… It is very important to everyone that we move away from the plastic and use the metal – Water Bottles – that is!

The Stanley nineteen13 line of Stainless Steel water bottles is SUPER, but have you campers seen a product from GSI outdoors called the DukJug (pronounced ‘Duck’ Jug)? This DukJug has so many handy features, so well engineered.

Check out both the Stanley nineteen13 and the GSI DukJug line of metal water bottles at

WeDoCampstoves has Camping Stoves and Backpacking Stoves and now has a cool line of metal water bottles!

Thanks Danielle!

33. […] water.   I would highly recommend everyone rent, borrow, or buy this film.  After watching it, I did a down and dirty post for Girlie Girl Army but here I’d like to dig a little […]

34. […] water.   I would highly recommend everyone rent, borrow, or buy this film.  After watching it, I did a down and dirty post for Girlie Girl Army but here I’d like to dig a little […]

35. […] how we feel about reusable water bottles.   And if you don’t, now is a perfect time to read this post.   Using plastic bottles is hideous and uncool.   In fact, I personally immediately feel a […]

* indicates required