The founders of TLB Music (formerly Three Little Birds) are some badass eco chicks.
TLB Music is an eco-friendly children’s music studio and indoor playspace for infants to 6-year-olds located on the Upper East Side in NYC. Its co-founders, best friends Katia Asthalter and Carina Zimmerman, met 10 years ago when living in a Feminist Perspectives house in college. Katia studied Opera performance while growing up in Paris and Zimmerman is a pianist, violinist, vegan and GGA reader.
Their classes are mind-bogglingly smart, fun, and interactive. We’d go so far as to say there is nothing like this space in all of New York, maybe all of the US! These girls are music geniuses (their teachers play nearly every instrument!) and they’ve carefully studied what music resonates with children.
SO… here are the 10 most important songs your kid/s need to hear now. Throw ‘em on the ipad or car stereo playlist and get them listening to increase serotonim and brain power stat!
Included: classical, jazz, funk, soul, and rock music spanning from the year 1876 to 2012!
1. Rhapsody in Blue This 1924 composition by George Gershwin is a gorgeous fusion of classical and jazz. It’s featured in Disney’s Fantasia 2000 in a cartoon that captures the essence of the piece and NYC in the 1930s. Video
2. We’re Going to Be Friends This song by The White Stripes is super catchy and has simple, easy to learn lyrics. Two great covers: Jack Johnson and Bright Eyes & First Aid Kit. Video
3. Let’s Twist Again Teach your kids how to do the twist and dance along to this video of Chubby Checker performing his 1961 hit! More songs for twisting: Chubby Checker’s The Twist and The Beatles’ Twist and Shout. Video
4. In the Hall of the Mountain King You’ll recognize this one! This imaginative piece from Grieg’s Peer Gynt is always popping up in movies, tv shows, and commercials. It’s perfect for an active listening activity with your kids. Video
5. Three Primary Colors Learn about primary colors in under two minutes with this educational Sesame Street music video by OK Go. Video
6. I Got You (I Feel Good) James Brown’s 1965 hit is made for dancing! Ask your children if they can clap their hands and move their feet like Brown does in this performance. Video
7. The Swan This piece by Camille Saint-Saëns is one of the most elegant and mesmerizing classical compositions of all time. Great song for naptime! Video
8. I Wanna Rock and Roll All Nite If you’re looking to introduce some hard rock to your kids, this song by Kiss is the place to start! Video
9. ABC “I” before “E” except after “C” is “easy as 1, 2, 3” after learning the lyrics to this 1970 hit by The Jackson 5. Video
10. Aquarium: This classical piece is great for an art or movement activity. In class, we dance with blue colored streamers to create swirling water while listening to it! Video
LUCKY YOU!! NYC PARENTS: TLB Music is offering $25 off their music classes for GGA readers!
266 East 78th Street
& 3rd Avenue
tel 212 744 0404
Tags: ABC, badass eco chicks, Camille Saint-Saëns, Carina Zimmerman, eco mothering, green parenting, I Got You (I Feel Good), I Wanna Rock and Roll All Nite, In the Hall of the Mountain King, jackson five, Katia Asthalter, kids music, Let’s Twist Again, Mothering, Rhapsody in Blue, The Swan, three little birds, Three Primary Colors, tlb music, We’re Going to Be FriendsPin It